What's the average commission for trades?

han
conributor

What's the average commission for trades?

Post by han » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:02 am

What is the average price that the brokerages charge for making a trade? I'm interested in maybe 10-30 trades per month. Discount or Full service, I don't care as long they are reliable. Is $10 per trade good?

BFaber S&C

Re: What's the average commission for trades?

Post by BFaber S&C » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:14 pm

To be honest, $10 is not bad, but not as good as you can do. It depends on how you want to trade, and how often. Brokerage commission range from the $4.00 area all the way up to the "you got to be kidding me" area. Greed in this business knows no bounds. That said, competition is having a positive influence on what most online brokers now charge. There a lots of ways to find out the what the various brokerage house charge for commissions. For instance, you can go to the Brokerage area of our own Traders' Resource pages and go through the individual brokers until you find a combination of price and service that suits your style of trading, OR you can go to a good search engine, (Google, Yahoo, Ask, Bing, etc.) and type in "Brokerage house commission comparison" and go down the list of links until you find one that is NOT put out by a brokerage house, and get a pretty good idea of commissions and services. There are some very good brokerages that have lots of service that still keep their commissions in your $10 price range, or less.

han
conributor

Post by han » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:57 pm

BFaber S&C wrote:For instance, you can go to the Brokerage area of our own Traders' Resource pages and go through the individual brokers until you find a combination of price and service that suits your style of trading...
Thanks! There were a bunch of brokerages that I've never even considered or knew even existed that does what I want and for cheaper too. :D

tradertracey

Post by tradertracey » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:26 am

I guess $4 is ok, but I found 59 cents commission. This company gives that rate to any account. You don't have to trade a lot to get it. Even if you trade one contract, it's 59 cents. I was sick of all those companies with "as low as" rates, or monthly fees. Anyway, the website is really simple and easy and the platform demo seems better than the several others I’ve used. I recommend them for day trading.

Philipwade

Post by Philipwade » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:20 am

Interactive Brokers charge $1 to trade 100 or less shares. If you buy more than 100 shares, the commission is $0.005 per share.

------------------------
It’s not *only* the system traders use that gives them trading success. It’s also the mindset they have! http://coachingfortradingsuccess.com/

bella9091

Post by bella9091 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:28 pm

I guess I can't say enough about this platform that I have been using. Firetip is really easy to use. Also, I have an account at Generic Trade and only pay 59 cents commission for all my trades.
Bella

Jhon Kumar

Post by Jhon Kumar » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:26 am

Some brokers charge a minimum brokerage. The minimum brokerage ranges from 20 - 30 Rs. for delivery based trades. The brokerage is also around 0.3 - 0.5% for delivery trades.
Intraday trades are cheaper with 12 - 20 rs. minimum brokerage and 0.03 - 0.1 % from then on.

comparebroker

Post by comparebroker » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:03 am

According to the recent Smart Money's 2012 survey, the average was just under $8. But, I don't think so that it matter a lot.